Aghia Paraskevi Fortress
Situated just a short distance northeast of Neapoli, below the village of Mesohori. The fortress stands on a rocky rise some 400m off the main road and is worth the detour. A protected cultural heritage monument, it first appears on a map in 1845 by Bartolomeo showing the Aegean archipelagos and the Maleas peninsula.
Built during the late Byzantine age by Frankish conquerors, its position was extremely strategic for giving warnings of pirate raids, offering clear views all over the Laconian Gulf.
There was once a church within its walls and a watchtower, along with semicircular bastions. During the rule of the Franks it was granted to the lords of Monemvasia by Willian Villehardouin II. Later it passed into the hands of the Bishopric of Mystras. Entry to the ruin is up a winding path on its northern side.