This recently restored lighthouse is a 7.8 km walk along a coastal path from Velanidia. A beautiful structure in itself, it has since 1860 been a reference point for ships sailing these treacherous waters that once inspired Strabo to warn travellers that if they planned on sailing around Cape Maleas, they might as well forget their families!
The light in this beautiful stone structure was first lit in 1883; the last lighthouse keeper, a local man named Vangelis Kynigalakis left a hundred years later after serving at this lonely outpost for 23 years. Now operating on solar energy, the lighthouse was declared a listed monument in 2006. Since being restored with funds from the Ekaterini Laskaridi Foundation in 2009, it has been maintained by two lighthouse keepers.
In good weather it can be approached from the sea, but one of the most noteworthy hiking trails in the area leads along the coast from Aghios Myros, just past Velanidia.